Saturday, July 5, 2008

Ryabirengye United FC

5/7

This week, the nominal head volunteer Dave, and I, have assumed managorial and coaching duties for the just-revived school football team. On the first day of tryouts, I ordered the first-team hopefuls to run four laps around the pitch with me. When completed, I was told a few jokers hid in the bushes after the first lap, thinking they would get away with it. Losing my nice guy, "player's coach" demeanor instantly, I screamed at the lot of them, informing every aspiring Drogba that those who hid may as well leave the field immediately because I had memorized their faces (not true) and I would not permit them to join the first or second squad. From then on, the students have done what's been asked of them, provided they understand the orders, and provided the orders can realistically be followed (once Dave decreed that the ball not leave the ground during a scrimmage, an impossible task considering the treacherous topography we play on...).

screamin away
cuz 20 or so can play
with months of serious guidance
we'll stun critics into silence
the pitch affords no favors
hills and goats crowd the penalty areas
the little ones try hard
big kids kick it too far
team hardly understands me,-
my Bakiga tongue stops after "agaandi".

I tell them to run
they hide in the bushes
I tell them to pass
they kick the ball without lookin.

most say they play striker
think they're built like Adeboyar
yet just a few can explode
in that funky goal mode
certain brilliance is undefinable
amongst these peasants cutting pineapple
to slice a hot pass down the middle
is tricky like a clever riddle
the situation requires smarts
deriving from the creative arts
accuracy, precision
join forces with wisdom
to make the defense miss and bleed
timing is the most vital key.

No comments: